Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hair Today...Bald Tomorrow

I know that it may sound vain, but my hair loss has really started to get to me.  It has been getting increasingly worse over the past few months and I am afraid that I am not going to have any left within the next year if I don't get it slowed down.  So, I finally broke down and talked to my doctor about it.  She actually said that she noticed a difference since I saw her last...only three weeks before.

We came up with a timid plan on how to get the hair loss to stop.  From the research I have done, I have found that I may even be able to get some regrowth.  The first step is for me to get back on my meds.  I am back on track with them and doing my very best not to miss any.  It seems like I usually do really well for a week or two and then I fall off the wagon and the next thing I know it is months later and I haven't taken a single dose.  I know that this isn't good for me and that I need to start really taking some initiative in this area.  I still haven't really figured out how I am going to prevent the cycle from repeating itself yet, but I hope to figure something out before it does.

The second step is that she is increasing my Metformin to the maximum dosage.  I'm not really looking forward to this part.  This medication really upsets my stomach for at least a couple of weeks each time that I get back on track with it and that was with the lower dose.  I think I am in for some major tummy troubles for the next little while.  I guess all I can do is warn everyone around me to stay out of my way when I stand up and run and ask them to pardon my grumpiness as I try to get through it.  Sometimes I think that the meds they give us that are supposed to make us better, are really worse than the original problem.

The third step is that she is sending me to a dermatologist.  A dermatologist is probably the last person I would have thought of when talking about hair loss.  I'm not sure why, but I just never made that kind of connection.  They are going to do a blood panel tomorrow to check for any things that would give them an indication of what is causing the majority of the hair loss and then my appointment with dermatology is in about 5 weeks (that is how far they are booked out).

Overall, I just really hope they are able to pin down the cause and help me out.  The idea of loosing all of my hair really scares me.  My hair used to be the only part of my outward appearance that I could honestly say looked pretty, now I don't even have that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one idea - do you have one of those pillbox container things, with a box for Monday, Tuesday, etc.? I know they come in a variety of forms, even with Monday am, noon, pm ... if you need to take things at different times of day.

Good for you for taking action on this. I hope you are able to get this figured out soon.

Hang in there ....

Andie